Friday, August 8, 2008

In the land of OZ

 

 

It’s been good to be in Australia. A lot cooler than the last place, especially at night. We’ve camped a couple of nights in our little shelter and have been fairly cozy. This week, we took our open water scuba diving course. It’s a little unnerving. It’s a good thing they make you practice everything in shallow water before they bring you down for a dive. Once we actually got out to the Great Barrier Reef, it was good and I felt confident.

We had an awesome first dive actually. First off, we saw dolphins alongside the boat as we went along. Then there was a whale about 100 feet from the boat while we were hanging out on the surface. Underneath we saw tones of amazing fish and coral. We also saw a manta ray, and a sea turtle.

Sea life is so diverse from everything else. Maybe it’s because I haven’t been in or around the sea that much, but I find it fascinating! We’re going to dive again tomorrow!

 

~R

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's pretty cool. don't think my beginner swim lessons would be good enough.
PF

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you're having fun.
I am wishing i was with you in australia. Wasn't the Manta Ray amazing!!! I really want to go scuba diving again. Happy you took the course.

well, I guess you are alright and having a great time. We are doing well here, looking forward to Rachael's sister and husband coming back from Australia in October. They should be in Toowoomba for a couple more weeks.

Talk to you later.

Keith and Rachael

Anonymous said...

Wow! I was so excited to see that you guys are travelling! Will definitely continue to check back, I hope you guys continue enjoying yourselves!

Jenn Miller